$ Staff Competencies: How to Develop and Implement a Framework in Your Library (Infopeople)
The most important resource in a library is not the building, the books or the technology. In fact, staff are a libraries most important resource! With a solid framework of competencies you can help ensure that you are hiring, developing, and promoting the right staff into the right positions within your library.
We don't often talk about competencies, but did you know that...
- They help articulate the behaviors, knowledge, skills, and abilities that staff need in order to be effective in their roles at the library?
- They provide a link between the library's organizational objectives or priorities and staff?
- They can be useful throughout a staff person's tenure at the library, from recruitment to hiring to performance reviews to training and development to retention planning?
- And finally, competencies are not only focused on today; they also help a library be prepared for the future?
In this very practical course, Infopeople Instructor Brenda Hough will guide learners through a four-step approach to developing staff competencies based on their library goals and mission. You will also discover how other libraries have used competencies to guide the individuals who form their staff and explore existing competency sets that can be adapted to your library's needs. By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the value of competencies for organizations and clarify the purpose for their own library
- Identify existing pre-set lists of competencies, which can be customized to the specific needs of their organization
- Build a competency framework
- Use employee-centered methods to verify and revise framework as needed
Learners will leave this course knowing how to develop a competency framework that fits the needs and goals of their organization.
For more infomation and to register, go to https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=795&reset=1.
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- All Day Event
- Online - At Your Computer