$ Core Reference Fundamentals (Infopeople)
Libraries of all types provide information and reference services to their community. To provide effective reference requires staff who understand and can apply the underlying values and methods as they assist users in finding the best possible resources to meet their information needs.
- Are you stepping into the role of providing reference assistance for the first time in your library career?
- Is it time to brush up on your basic skills because you are returning to work in a capacity that includes reference work with library users?
- Do you want to be able to quickly identify and locate information in all formats?
Whether you have been recently promoted to support direct information and reference services, or are returning to reference work some years after you completed your library degree, you’ll need a clear understanding of how to determine the real information need behind users’ questions and where to look for authoritative answers. This course will acquaint you with why, when and how to do an effective reference interview, which resources are best suited to which types of reference questions, how to use both print and web-based resources appropriate to the user’s need, and how reference work fits into the mission of your library.
For more information and to register, go to https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=737.
- Tuesday, January 30, 2018
- 3:00pm - 7:30pm
- Online - At Your Computer