Welcoming Libraries & Trans Communities Webinar Session 2
Session 2: How can library materials be made more easily discoverable for patrons seeking information about transgender people?
○ Historical context for Library of Congress classification systems based on literary warrant
○ Limitations and critiques of LC subject headings and terminology, and the rise of thesauri in LGBTQ libraries
○ Strategies for librarians to engage patrons in “knowledge production as a contested project”
● Establish a baseline understanding of transgender and non-binary identities including lived experience within North Carolina
● Understand the limitations of classification and cataloging for patrons who may be searching for content related to transgender people
● Take away resources and techniques to offer trans patrons an even more welcoming library experience