$ Children's Services Fundamentals (Infopeople)
Does your work in the library include service to children and their families? Do you want to do a better job in providing homework assistance, readers’ advisory, tours of your library, or family programs?
Expert children’s librarian and author Penny Peck will help you to acquire the knowledge and skills to be more comfortable and confident about providing fundamental children’s services. As a result of the course you will be able to:
- Conduct a reference interview to match grade-appropriate resources with a child’s information need
- Determine children’s reading interests, including those of reluctant readers, and find books to meet those interests
- Plan entertaining programs that attract families to the library
- Promote books and reading through programs and library tours
Whether you are new or not-so-new to children’s services, you’ll come away with resources, best practices, and useful tips and techniques that can be applied immediately in your library.
Course Description: During the course, you will have weekly readings, do practical assignments, and participate in discussions to share ideas and experiences. In Weeks 3 and 4, we will schedule two optional online meetings. These meetings are a great way to connect, ask questions, and explore the course material in a friendly, informal environment. Those who cannot participate in person will be able to listen to the archived recording of the meetings.
- Tuesday, September 19, 2017
- All Day Event
- Online - At Your Computer